BOULDER COUNTY COMMUNITY PLANNING AND PERMITTING
Boulder County is providing free shuttle service on Fridays, weekends and holidays this summer and fall to carry passengers from Nederland High School (597 County Rd. 130) to the Hessie Trailhead, a popular entry point for accessing Lost Lake and the Indian Peaks Wilderness area off of Fourth of July Road.
On days when the Hessie Shuttle is operating, the RTD route NB between Boulder and Nederland High School will be free to ride. Visitors are encouraged to park in Boulder and ride the bus all the way to their outdoor adventure.
Free Shuttle Service
The seasonal shuttle service will begin Friday, May 26, 2023. The last day of shuttle service will be Sunday, Oct 8. Shuttles depart approximately every 15 minutes during operating hours, and travel time is approximately 10 minutes.
Hessie Shuttle Schedule
- Fridays: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturdays: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Starting Sept. 9, Saturday service ends at 6 p.m.)
- Sundays: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Holiday Exceptions and Additions to the Schedule
- Sunday, May 28: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Memorial Day)
- Monday, May 39: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Memorial Day)
- Sunday, June 18: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Juneteenth)
- Monday, June 29: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Juneteenth)
- Sunday, July 2: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Sunday before Independence Day)
- Monday, July 3: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Independence Day)
- Tuesday, July 4: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Independence Day)
- Sunday, Sept. 3: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Labor Day)
- Monday, Sept. 4: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Labor Day)
- Leashed dogs are welcome on the shuttle.
- Bikes are not allowed on the shuttle due to a lack of bike racks.
- The RTD NB route between Boulder and Nederland will be free to ride on Hessie Shuttle operating days this season. The RTD route provides service from Downtown Boulder Station (1800 14th St. Boulder, CO) and the Boulder County Justice Center (1777 6th St., Boulder, CO) to Nederland High School and downtown Nederland/ RTD Park-n-Ride. Free parking is available weekends and holidays at both the Downtown Boulder Station and Boulder County Justice Center.
- No passes, reservations, or fare is required to use this free service.
- Masks or facial coverings are not required to ride the shuttle, but passengers who would feel more comfortable wearing a mask are welcome to do so.
For more information, visit www.HessieTrailhead.com or contact Alex Hyde-Wright at [email protected] or 303-441-4910.
For information about all recreation shuttles operating in Boulder County in 2023, visit www.boco.org/shuttles.