The expansion of rail in Colorado is a high priority of the Polis administration, and the northwest region, to deliver climate friendly policies which promote economic vitality and new travel options for Coloradans. On August 30, 2023, Commuting Solutions will host the 7th Sustainable Transportation Summit – Transportation Innovations Bringing People Together at the Longmont Museum in Longmont, Colorado. The summit will convene local, state, and national thought leaders and stakeholders to focus on the issues surrounding the innovations in rail, growth, development, and land management needed to make a large-scale public transportation system a reality in Colorado.
“The 7th Sustainable Transportation Summit is an opportunity to hear from thought leaders around the country who are making a difference in transportation, rail and land use” said Audrey DeBarros, Executive Director Commuting Solutions. “With the Front Range Passenger Rail Corridor Development Plan process underway, we want to elevate the interest to partner with federal, state, regional and local stakeholders to advance implementation of the service for the northwest metro region and beyond.”
The 7th Sustainable Transportation Summit will feature keynote speaker Julie Meredith, Assistant Secretary Urban Mobility, Access & Megaprograms for the Washington State Department of Transportation. Additionally, there will be a spotlight on Oregon’s innovative Climate Friendly and Equitable Communities and Transportation and Growth Management programs that will bring new perspectives to the land use/transportation integration conversation in Colorado.
Additional speakers include:
- Evan Manvel, Climate Mitigation Planner, Climate Friendly and Equitable Communities Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development
- Erin Fosdick, President and CEO, Longmont Economic Development Partnership and Commuting Solutions Board Member
- Chris McShane, Senior Vice President and Private Banker, InBank, and Commuting Solutions Board Chairperson
- Dennis Newman, Executive Vice President of Strategy, Planning, & Accessibility, Amtrak
- John E. Putnam, Former General Council U.S. Department of Transportation
- David Singer, Assistant Director of Passenger Rail Colorado Department of Transportation
- Congressman Joe Neguse, U.S. House of Representatives
- Senator Faith Winter, Colorado Senate District 25
- Commissioner Claire Levy, Boulder County Commissioner
- Mayor Joan Peck, City of Longmont